How to Donate Your Boat
Guidelines on How to Donate Your Boat and Recieve a Tax Deduction
- It is the donor’s responsibility to obtain an appraisal from a “qualified appraiser”. www.marinesurvey.org
- It is recommended that the donor engage a professional tax advisor before making any commitment regarding the donation of property to a non-profit organization.
- Fins Attached will provide documentation to allow the donation to qualify for the appraised value which will include Form 1098-C, Form 8283 and a Contemporaneous Letter of Acceptance.
- IRS Publication 4303 is a very informative booklet available online at www.irs.gov The website also has links to all of the forms required by the IRS to properly document any donations for a tax deduction.
- We will help with any questions you or your tax professional may have regarding your charitable donation to the Fins Attached.
- To start the process please contact us to let us know you would like to donate your boat and we will send you the appropriate forms.