Mission Statement: To conduct research, promote conservation, and provide education for the protection of the marine ecosystem
Our core belief: We believe in the preservation of our world’s precious resources and that through the protection of the oceans apex predators, marine ecosystem balance can be maintained for the benefit of all living things on earth.
The mission of Fins Attached is to conduct research, promote conservation and provide education for the protection of marine ecosystems. The health of any ecosystem is controlled largely by its apex predators. So, while our work aims to impact the marine ecosystem as a whole, much of our research is focused on the apex predators of the marine environment, which are sharks.
Our organization is comprised of scientists, companies, organizations, and people concerned with the health of the world’s oceans. The scientists that represent Fins Attached range in backgrounds from divers to Ph.D marine biologists.
As a result, we direct our efforts in the following categories:
- Shark Research
- Shark Conservation
- Public awareness and education
- International Policy and Advocacy
While conducting research and promoting conservation are important components of what Fins Attached does, affecting international policy will ultimately lead to the protection of shark species. As such, the Fins Attached International Policy and Development Specialist will lead this cause.
As a non-profit organization, Fins Attached is governed by a volunteer board of directors. These caring individuals are:
- Shane Taylor – A1 Scuba, Denver Colorado (Board President)
- Ali Miller – Denver Divers, Denver Colorado, Board Secretary
- Kris Lopez – Board Treasurer
- Pat Purkhiser – Zoo Academy, Omaha Nebraska
- Todd Lemons
- Jason Borkland
- Andy Reid – Fins Attached, United Kingdom
- Dennis Santos – Elite Divers, New Jersey
- Trisha Tyler
- Jeff Miller
Fins Attached Staff:
- Alex Antoniou, Ph.D., Founder and CEO
- Randall Arauz (CREMA), International Policy and Development Specialist
- Mauricio Hoyos, Ph.D. Chief Scientist
- Stuart Edmondson, Operations Manager
- Tamara Glover, Volunteer Coordinator
Fins Attached also has many volunteer members that help out with mission based activities. From helping to organize the annual fundraiser to helping to lead research expeditions.