Citizen Science Research Expeditions
Fins Attached conducts research expeditions throughout the year. Some of these trips are open to donors of Fins Attached. The expeditions allow donors to be involved and participate in shark research to see how their donation are being used to study and protect sharks and our marine environment. We have found that these experiences completely transform the perceptions that individuals have about and towards sharks.
Contact Fins Attached for more information. email@example.com
2019: Fins Attached – Bahamas Dive Research Expeditions
Fins Attached has partnered with Beneath the Waves and Dr. Austin Gallagher to conduct research in the Bahamas. These expeditions give citizen scientists the incredible opportunity to assist with cutting edge research being done in one of the world’s largest protected area for sharks – the Bahamas. Every expedition will support Dr Gallagher’s ongoing research in the region, as we explore some of the ‘sharkiest’ waters of the Bahamas, looking to deploy acoustic transmitter tags on tiger and reef sharks supporting the long-term study on shark survival in the sanctuary. We will also explore the depths of the Tongue of the Ocean looking for new species and behaviors, and will explore some new tiger shark hot spots.
- Explore and tag tiger sharks around north-eastern New Providence Island, which may be a new hot spot in the Bahamas for tiger sharks.
- Implant reef sharks with acoustic transmitters on the southern wall of the island.
- Dive with reef sharks around the southern wall of the island.
- Explore the depths of the Tongue of the Ocean and the northern trench of the island, looking for new species and searching for tiger sharks that are known to hang out in the deep; with the aim of understanding what they are doing and why.
- Exped 1: 23 – 29 April 2019
- Exped 2: 2 – 8 May 2019
- Exped 3: 11 – 17 May 2019
Exped 4: 20 – 26 May 2019(Sold Out)
7 Day Expedition Program – Example
Day 1: Board Sharkwater in Nassau transit to Rose Island. Carryout tiger and bull shark tagging.
Day 2: Northern Rose Island for shark tagging and receiver deployment.
Day 3: Transit to Northern New Providence for shark tagging and diving.
Day 4: Northern New Providence for shark tagging and diving.
Day 5: Southern Wall of SW New Providence for reef shark dives.
Day 6: Southern Wall of SW New Providence for reef shark dives.
Day 7: Disembark in Nassau.
* There is the possibility of deep-sea submarine dives (at extra cost), depending on sub availability.
Dr. Austin Gallagher
Dr. Gallagher is an American marine biologist and social entrepreneur, best known for his research on sharks and his role as founder and CEO of Beneath the Waves, a non-profit organization focusing on ocean conservation.
The cost is $3,500 per person and includes:
- 6 nights accommodation aboard Sharkwater.
- Funding support for the scientific research.
- All Food and Beverages.
- All diving and research activities including Nitrox (only tank and weights provided with some rental equipment available).
- Transfers to the marina collection point in Nassau (tbc).
- Hotel accommodation and meals whilst in Nassau
- Crew Tips
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your space.
Additional Information: www.beneaththewaves.org/initiatives/shark-sanctuary-i
2019: Cocos Island Expeditions
Donors can join Fins Attached, CREMA, and Pelagios Kakunjá in 2019 on one of our Cocos Island Research Expeditions. These expeditions will inspire you as you participate in the research that will make a difference towards saving sharks in the Eastern Tropical Pacific. Randall Arauz of Fins Attached and Dr. Mauricio Hoyos of Fins Attached/Pelagios Kakunjá will be leading the expeditions.
- 11-day trips with 7-days of diving at Cocos Island.
- On board M/Y Sharkwater
Available 2019 Dates:
June 6 – 16(Sold Out)
- June 19 – 29
- September 29 – October 9 (Rebreather divers only)
Email email@example.com for more details and to reserve your space.
Included with your donations are:
- All meals and snacks on board
- Complimentary beverages
- 7-days of diving (tanks, weights, boat and guide)
- Port fees
- RT Transfers from San Jose to Puntarenas
Donations do not include:
- Hotel nights in San Jose (Hotel will be recommended)
- Land Excursions
- National Park fees
- Crew tips